Do you know that your Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma health plan provides coverage for certain reconstructive procedures relating to a covered mastectomy?
If the attending physician and the patient decide they are necessary, the following treatments will be covered after a mastectomy:
- All stages of reconstruction (rebuilding) of the breast that was removed during the mastectomy
- Surgery and reconstruction of the other breast for an even appearance
- Prostheses (breast implants)
- Treatment of possible side effects from the mastectomy, including lymphedema (fluid buildup that leads to swelling)
These benefits are subject to the same deductible and coinsurance as other medical and surgical benefits provided under your plan. For more information about your mastectomy-related benefits, call the customer service phone number on your member ID card.
Oklahoma State law requires the following minimums for inpatient hospital services related to breast cancer and other breast conditions:
- Not less than 48 hours of inpatient care following a mastectomy
- Not less than 24 hours of inpatient care following a lymph node dissection for the treatment of breast cancer
However, coverage may be provided for a shorter in-patient hospital stay when the attending physician and the patient decide that a shorter hospital stay is appropriate.